TORONTO September 29th 2014. Digital Champion Jessica Kuepfer is a runner, blogger and latte drinker from Waterloo, ON. She is thrilled to be a Digital Champion for her favourite marathon in Canada! Connect with Jessica on Twitter @lacesandlattes and on her blog.
25 Reasons Why You Should Run STWM. By Jessica Kuepfer.
This is a big year for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon and I. We both turn a quarter century and that truly is something to celebrate. As thousands of runners get prepped for the big day, I can’t help but think about all the reasons that this race is one of the best marathons in Canada. And so, to celebrate an amazing 25 years of quality running, I thought I would lay out the top 25 reasons why you should run the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon and why it is so much more than just a race.
- It’s fast – When I ran it for the first time last year, I was struck by how speedy and flat the course is. This is one that is made for personal records and Boston Qualifiers.
- The expo is awesome – Seriously, this race hosts the best expo I have been to yet. You get a ton of free swag and deep discounts as well as meeting some of your favourite companies. Check out what’s coming up and who is speaking at the STWM Race Expo.
- It’s well organized – I had no question of where my corral was or what the race route was. It is well marked and well prepared for.
- There are great places in Toronto to carb load – I was a little overwhelmed with options the night before the race, but there is no shortage of places to increase those glycogen stores before the race. Check out the STWM Pasta Dinner options.
- You can raise money for charity – There are a number of charities that work with Canada Running Series to provide a complimentary race entry in exchange for fundraising. Running AND helping? Sign me up. Run and fundraise for one of our great charities in the Scotiabank Charity Challenge.
- You get a weekly pacebook to connect you to other runners. A weekly email is sent to everyone who signed up for the race to inform and educate you on what is coming.
- There is a strong online community of runners to support you in your training. Starting with the Digital Champions, who are able to be found everywhere online, to the runners who are following along on Twitter, there is always someone to ask for advice or chat training. Check out the STWM Social Hub to connect with other runners.
- There are tune up runs where you can meet other people who are running the course. There is nothing cooler than getting to make friends BEFORE the race. Register for the free STWM Running Room Friendship Run on Saturday October 18th.
- They have interactive contests leading up to the race. They teamed up with Canadian Running this year and allowed runners to share their stories. It is fun to participate with the race before running it.
- They provide lots of resources to help you in your training. From a website full of advice, to weekly emails to experts sharing advice, they have your back in training.
- The course is fun to run. The course offers a unique tour of the city and is full of interesting and fun things to look at as you run by. Check out the STWM Course Map.
- The crowds are incredible. The supporters cheer loudly, have the best signs and high fives and make you feel like a pro.
- The volunteers are the nicest people you will ever meet. Whether they are handing you water, handing you a medal or giving you your post race snacks, they are one capable and awesome crew.
- They have rocking sponsors. Powerbar, Brooks, Oasis and more, Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is full of quality sponsors and incredible product for the runners.
- They always have a strong showing of elites. For instance, this year, Lanni Marchant will be returning to tackle the course where she set a Canadian record last year.
- It’s spectator friendly. They have plenty of places to watch along the course as well as having grand stands at the finish line. Check out the best viewing spots for STWM.
- They have sweet medals. You know, if you run a marathon, you want a heavy medal with a sweet design. This one checks all the boxes. View the 2014 STWM Medals!
- It’s easy to find lodging right by the start line. And if you aren’t able to find one close by, there is tons of transportation leading to the start line. Check out the official STWM hotels.
- It’s at a perfect time of year for running weather. The air is crisp and cool, the leaves have turned colour and it is perfect temperatures for your best race of the season.
- The Brooks race t-shirt is awesome. And you can give a knowing nod to a fellow runner on a training run when you see them out training because you share a Scotia bond.
- They have amazing entertainment along the race course. No iPod? No problem. This course offers rocking music and performers to keep you at a winning cadence. Check out the 12 Neighbourhood Cheering and Entertainment Centres.
- The runners are amazing. Sometimes if you are running with a pacer, you have conversations with the running crew around you. Whether they help you navigate to the start line or share a gel, the participants of the STWM are first rate.
- Free tips every week from the Running Room Founder, John Stanton. There is nothing better than getting advice from the best. It is so cool that the race provides information from an expert.
- The pacers are the friendliest people. I ran with a pacer at last year’s STWM and he was so positive and confident. He did all the work of deciding the speed and all I had to do was run. Meet the Brooks Pacer Team for STWM.
- There is plenty of space to meet friends and family after the run. They have easily marked spaces to meet up with everyone afterwards for a happy celebration of a race well run at the Nathan Phillips Sqaure Party Site.
What is your favourite thing about the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon?