JOIN TEAM AMNESTY!
Looking for a fun and exciting way to support justice and human rights for all? Why not join this year's Team Amnesty at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon? Challenge yourself to become active both physically and mentally by helping to fundraise for Amnesty International while participating in the Toronto Marathon. All are welcome!
By participating in the Marathon as part of Team Amnesty, you will not only be embarking on a great physical expedition, but also helping to raise awareness about Amnesty International and its work in support of human rights.
For more information contact Hala AL-Madi at email@example.com or call 1-800-AMNESTY (1-800-266-3789) Mondays to Thursdays, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Why run for Amnesty?
- If you register to raise money for Amnesty, you will receive a charity discount on your registration fee, and you will also receive free exclusive Amnesty goodies based on the fundraising levels you reach.
- By running for Amnesty, you could be helping to save a life. As part of our work, Amnesty campaigns to protect individuals at risk; human rights activists or journalists whose lives are threatened due to their activism. You can select one of the individuals at risk cases we are featuring to spotlight in your emails and conversations with your sponsors, and encourage them to take action. Once you have registered, visit www.amnesty.ca/atrisk.
Who is Amnesty International?
- Amnesty International is one of the largest, most respected and most effective human rights organizations in the world.
- Our members — nearly three million worldwide and 70,000 in Canada — press governments and others with influence to protect people's freedom, dignity and fair treatment.
- In Canada, hundreds of Amnesty International school and community groups enable "ordinary" people to speak up for human rights.
- Amnesty International's power to bring about change depends on its political independence: funding comes from concerned individuals, not from governments.
- When human rights abuses take place, Amnesty International seeks out the truth, exposes it for the world to see, then creates public pressure to stop specific abuses against specific people.
- Within its wide-ranging work, Amnesty International seeks to free people imprisoned for the peaceful expression of their beliefs or identity; stop torture and abolish the death penalty; protect the safety of human rights activists, refugees and others at risk; and pressure international agencies to prevent human rights violations and bring perpetrators to justice.