Canadian Safe School Network
WALK OR RUN FOR THE CANADIAN SAFE SCHOOL NETWORK AT THE SCOTIABANK TORONTO MARATHON
Please join The Canadian Safe School Network's Safe School Speedsters on
Sunday, September 26th, 2010 and help us continue our mandate of making our schools and communities safer for children and youth.
- The Canadian Safe School Network (CSSN) is a national, not-for-profit, registered charitable organization with a
mandate to reduce youth violence and make our schools and communities safer.
- At CSSN we believe that school and community safety is everybody's business and we encourage community members from both private and public
sectors to become actively engaged and involved. As such, CSSN is committed to building and nurturing partnerships that enable the organization to
meet its goals. CSSN works with police services, school boards, the municipal, provincial and federal governments and the business community to find
new solutions to the problem of youth violence.
- Since our inception, we have been very active in developing safe school resources, administering research, hosting conferences and professional
development for educators and administrators and providing comprehensive and current commentary on safe school issues to media outlets throughout
Canada. We are also a founding partner of the Empowered Student Partnerships program, the largest student-run, high school safety program in Canada.
- For more information about CSSN, please visit our website: www.canadiansafeschools.com
- Scotiabank Group Charity Challenge (in conjunction with the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon)
- Walk/Run – 5K
- Marathon – 42.2K (18 years and up)
- Half-Marathon – 21.1K (16 years and up)
- Find more details here: www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/details.htm
- Sunday, September 26th, 2010
- Marathon and Half-Marathon – 7:30 a.m.
- 5K Walk/Run – 10:20 a.m.
- Note: Registered runners must sign in and pick up their packets on Friday, September 24th or Saturday, September 25th
(Direct Energy Centre at Exhibition Place)
- Full and Half Marathon Start and finish at Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto; 5k starts at CNE grounds, finishes at Nathan Phillips Square.
- One of the main areas we focus on is bullying. Bullying, in all its forms, is unfortunately taking place everyday in
every school and every community across Canada. Research and studies show that 50% to 75% of students have been bullied
and that bullying occurs every 7 seconds on the school yard. No one deserves to be bullied and it should not be accepted
as part and parcel of childhood/adolescence. BULLYING IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES FOR OUR
CHILDREN/YOUTH. Frequent bullying leaves children/youth with long-lasting emotional and sometimes physical scars.
Many children/youth reach a breaking point and they start bullying others, becoming excessively violent, depressed or
- In addition to bullying, youth violence and crime in schools and communities is of a growing concern across Canada.
The number of young people charged with assault and weapons offences has more than doubled in the past decade. The
arrival of guns in our schools is an increasing phenomenon and deserves immediate attention. Gang and weapons-related
school violence has intimidated many children into being governed by a code of silence.
- Every pledge, no matter how small, makes a big difference! 100% of your pledges will go to supporting the Canadian
Safe School Network and our mandate. Your fundraising efforts will contribute directly to the development and delivery
of programming, resources, conferences, professional development and public awareness regarding bullying, youth violence
and school safety.
How (registration and fundraising):
- To join the Safe Schools Speedsters and run on behalf of CSSN, contact Lauren Scapillati at 416.977.1050 or
email@example.com prior to registering online.*
- You can run/raise money as an individual or create/join a team (e.g. school team, office team, group of friends team)
within the Safe School Speedsters team.
* Runners participating in the Charity Challenge will have their registration fee discounted. In order to receive
this discount, you must contact Lauren prior to registering online to get a PIN code. She will also provide runners
with more details on how to register and start fundraising.
- 100% OF THE PLEDGES YOU RAISE WILL GO TO SUPPORTING THE CANADIAN SAFE SCHOOL NETWORK.
- DISCOUNTED REGISTRATION FEE ($60 for the marathon and half-marathon and $30 for the 5K walk/run)
- REGISTRATION FEE REIMBURSEMENT for those who raise a minimum amount (see incentives below).
- FREE Adidas Climalite Technical t-shirts for marathon and half-marathon runners (first come, first serve).
- FREE online training programs and weekly newsletters for all participants.
- FREE personalized online fundraising through Artez Interactive makes fundraising easy.
- All runners will receive a Safe Schools Speedsters t-shirt.
|If you raise: ||You will:|
|$125.00 (5K walk/run) ||Be reimbursed for your registration fee ($30)|
|$150.00 (marathon/half marathon) ||Be reimbursed for your registration fee ($60)|
Be entered into a draw to win a Wii (Value $279.99)
|$325.00 ||Be reimbursed for your registration fee|
Be entered into a draw to win an Xbox 360 (Value $299.99)
|$750.00 ||Be reimbursed for your registration fee|
Be entered into a draw to win an LCD TV (Approx. Value $500.00)
Educational Team Incentives (for teams of 5 people or more who raise at least $1000):
**Team Leaders who recruit 5 or more Safe School Speedsters and raise at least $500 for CSSN will receive a BONUS incentive:
ONE FREE ADMISSION to any Safe School Conference of Educational Institute.
- $5000 to the charity with the highest fundraising total
- $5000 to the charity with the largest fundraising team
- $5000 to the charity with the most raised per runner