Guinness World Records
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™, the global authority on record-breaking achievement, is partnering with the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, to provide record-breaking hopefuls with on-site record attempt verification to make race day even more memorable for the eighth year in a row!
In 2017, four runners became Guinness World Records title holders through tremendous achievements during the race including Fastest half marathon dressed as a chef (male), Fastest half marathon dressed as a cowboy (male), Fastest half marathon dressed as an awareness ribbon (female) and Fastest half marathon dressed as a clown (male).
Join us in 2018 and attempt record categories during this year’s race! Approved categories include: Fastest half marathon dressed as a doctor (female) (current record: 2 hrs), Fastest half marathon dressed as a toy (male) (minimum to beat: 1 hr 45 mins), Fastest marathon dressed as an emoji (male) (minimum to beat: 4 hrs), and Fastest marathon dressed as a videogame character (female) (minimum to beat: 4 hrs).
Aside from individual record attempts, groups or families are also encouraged to apply as there are various team-based record titles available, including Fastest marathon by a linked team, Fastest marathon in a three person costume, and Fastest marathon in a ten-person costume. If you’re running on behalf of a charity, a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title attempt can also bring additional awareness to your efforts.
If you would like to attempt a marathon or half marathon record at the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, please click below.
- Complete a standard application via the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS website’s ‘Set a Record’ section and include the following information in your standard-level application:
- A record title and a full description of the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS attempt
- The date and location of the marathon (10/21/2018, Toronto, Ontario, Canada). At the end of the application process, you will be prompted to choose an event – please select “Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon” from the list
- Dimensions of the costume(s) or object(s) that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight)
- Projected finish time in any costume you or your team hopes to run in
- Once your application has been accepted, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph that clearly shows the runner(s) wearing/carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal
- Should your application be approved, you will be required to complete a questionnaire and provide further information for press purposesFor any questions in regards to your application, costume requirements, etc., please submit it via the application portal on GuinnessWorldRecords.com and it will be addressed directly to the Records Manager assigned to your claim.
When applying for a new record category that is not currently in the Guinness World Records database, please email email@example.com and Press@GuinnessWorldRecords.com with your idea and photos (if costume related).
As part of the submission process, a full description of each applicant’s planned record attempt will be sent to Canada Running Series by GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS. The attempt will then be assessed to ensure it is appropriate for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
Canada Running Series reserves the right to deny entry into the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon if the costume is deemed to be inappropriate or violate health and safety regulations.
The deadline for applications is 6 PM EST on Friday September 14, 2018.
For more record ideas or information on how you can set or break a record at the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, please visit the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS website.
Please note that GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS participants must be entered in the STWM event before registering online at guinnessworldrecords.com.
Let’s make history at the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon by attempting to break a world record together!